Family Sues $100 Million After Son Dies in Texas in Home Amidst Winter Storm
The family of an 11-year-old boy who died in the brutal Texas temperatures last week is suing two Texas power companies for $100 million. The family is alleging the power companies failed to take action that could have prevented their son’s death.
Maria Pineda’s son Cristian died Feb. 16 in the family’s mobile home in Conroe, Texas. Lawyer Tony Buzbee, representing the family, filed a wrongful death lawsuit on Feb. 20 against the Electric Reliability Council of Texas and Entergy Corp.
The lawsuit accuses the power providers of gross negligence and alleges they ignored recommendations to winterize the power grid and misled customers on how long rolling blackouts would last.
“These decisions, which lead to deaths, were made based on profit, not welfare of people,” Buzbee said in an Instagram post.
The lawyer calls on both energy companies to account for the multiple deaths in Texas.
Pineda found her son Christian in his bed on the morning of Feb. 16, unresponsive. He was trying to stay warm under a pile of blankets with his 3-year-old brother. The family’s mobile home had been without power for 2 days, as the temperatures plummeted into the teens.
Pineda called 911 and attempted CPR, but was unable to resuscitate her son. Medics believe the cause of death was likely hypothermia, however, an autopsy could take weeks.
A carbon monoxide test in the mobile home was negative.
Christian was born in Tela, Honduras, and immigrated to Texas in 2019 where he was reunited with his mother. A GoFundMe has been set up to raise money to send Christian’s body back to Honduras, where his grandparents and other relatives still live.