Attorneys Picked To Lead Investigation Into Sexual Assault Claims Against Gov. Cuomo
New York Attorney General Letitia James announced the two lawyers who will lead the investigation into sexual harassment allegations against Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Former Acting U.S Attorney for the Southern District of New York Joon H. Kim and employment discrimination attorney Anne L. Clark will begin the investigation after it was authorized last week by the governor’s office.
This development comes after three more women accused Cuomo of sexual assault. The number is now up to six and includes three former aides to the governor.
Ana Liss is the most recent woman to come forward and said in 2013 Cuomo touched her lower back, called her sweetheart and would ask if she had a boyfriend. Liss says she was reduced to a “skirt.” Although at first it seemed like subtle flirtation, after more time Liss felt it was inappropriate.
“I just wish—I wish that he took me seriously,” she said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal.
After the allegations, Cuomo came forward with an apology but continues to deny any sexual harassment.
“It was unintentional, and I truly and deeply apologize for it,” he said Wednesday. “I feel awful about it and, frankly, I am embarrassed.”
Although the governor’s office approved the investigation, members of Cuomo’s team are still supporting him.
A senior adviser to Gov. Cuomo said, “Reporters and photographers have covered the governor for 14 years watching him kiss men and women and posing for pictures. At the public open-house mansion reception, there are hundreds of people, and he poses for hundreds of pictures. That’s what people in politics do.”
But Liss and other women who have come forward say his response to the allegations is “inadequate.”