Photo by Connor Betts via Unsplash

Captain Arnie Sandoval has been identified as the second victim in the shooting that took place at Fire Station 81 in Agua Dulce, California.

Sandoval, however, was not the intended target of the gunman. An off duty firefighter entered Fire Station 81 just before 11 a.m. on June 1, and opened fire on Tony Carlon, another member of the fire department. Sandoval was airlifted from the scene to a local hospital where he remains in critical condition. Carlon, his coworker, died as a result of his injuries.

“All life-threatening injuries have been addressed and the recovery process is ongoing at this time,” a hospital official told KTLA 5. Sandoval is currently in a critical but stable condition. 

RELATED: CHP: Higher Than Usual Freeway Shootings in Southern California

The death of Carlon has also shaken the community. “When it comes to being a father, when it comes to being a fireman, when it comes to being a mentor, there was nobody that could parallel that,” a close family friend said during his vigil, according to KABC.

Videos have circulated the internet of his daughter graduating from Saugus High School while wearing his jacket and surrounded by hundreds of firefighters who were there to support her and her family.

The Times reported that Sandoval tried to intervene in the dispute between the shooter and Carlon, but was shot several times in the process.

The shooter has been identified as Jonathan Patrick Tatone, who was an off duty firefighter. Shortly after the shooting, Tatone went home and set the house on fire. He then died by suicide, where the police found his body outside in the pool. 

Following the shooting, there has been an outpour of support from the community. In three days, the GoFundMe page for Captain Sandoval has raised over $43,000 from over 300 donors. It is looking to raise $100,000 to cover the cost of his recovery.

David Guymon, the organizer of the GoFundMe, wrote on his Facebook page that the incident “has rocked our department to the core and lives have been changed forever.”

He wants the family to have money to help them with his recovery and unforeseen expenses and has asked the community to give what they can.

Guymon told The Signal that Sandoval was talking Saturday morning, a sign that he is on the road to recovery. “He’s just a good, salt-of-the-earth kind of guy. Genuine. He’s nice to work around and he’d do anything for you,” he told The Signal.

The shooting appears to be over an ongoing workplace argument. A source told KABC that the two lived near one another and worked different shifts.

Scriberr reached out to Fire Station 81 for comment, but they did not meet the media deadline.

Captain Sandoval will continue his recovery at Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital in Valencia.

Written ByNicole Norman

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.